Locations: All offices
Law Units: All units
Work Status: Full-Time
Come work with great people who do hard work to better the lives of low-income and vulnerable individuals in our communities. Be a part of a non-profit law firm, with 100+ employees in seven offices across Louisiana, that seeks legal justice while understanding the value of work-life balance. Work independently and as part of a team to obtain positive results for clients with a focus on civil law matters that include: Family Law, Child in Need of Care, Disaster Recovery, Domestic Violence, Public Benefits, Elder Law, Successions, Housing, and Consumer Law positions that are available in Alexandria, Franklin, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Monroe, Natchitoches, and Shreveport. Candidates must have strong organizational and communication skills, be comfortable interacting with low income clients, and be able to learn electronic case management system.
Works under the direct supervision of the Senior Attorney/Unit Leader to assist attorneys with the provision of quality legal services to clients of Acadiana Legal Service Corporation. Work involves legal research, preparation of legal documents and memoranda and assistance in preparing correspondence on legal matters. Generally, work is completed as assigned, however, the position requires initiative and resourcefulness in following lines of research, corporation policies and procedures, and attentive by listening to client’s concerns. Incumbent will help plan, design and present a broad educational program for informing low-income persons, social service organizations, and the general public of legal rights and obligations inherent in our mission statement. General supervision is provided by a Senior Attorney/Unit Leader and/or Senior Paralegal Coordinator.
- Screen and interview applicants for assistance by completing callbacks and completing applications.
- Provide front desk backup as needed.
- Greet and screen callers and visitors, making referrals to appropriate personnel.
- Provide administrative and legal support including copying, scanning, faxing, mailing documents, and mail distribution.
- Prepare letters, memoranda, drafts, legal documents, in forma pauperis affidavits, and other correspondence as assigned and review and proofread documents and correspondence to ensure accuracy.
- Conduct initial interview of applicants for screening, eligibility, referrals, and applications for legal assistance as directed.
- Refer clients and advocates to appropriate available community resources.
- Communicate with clients, coworkers, community partners, opposing counsel, judges, and court staff effectively as directed by supervisor.
- Assist attorneys with case opening, closing, scanning, filing, surveys, and reports.
- Create, organize, and maintain data bank files and templates in accordance with recognized procedures and standards.
- Participate in various community outreach events as directed by Unit Leader.
- Transmit legal documents to the courthouse as requested.
- Complete other legal support work as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Some knowledge of procedures and techniques used in legal research, including the various related sources of legal information. Adequate working knowledge of legal terminology and legal formats. Adequate skill in typing, grammar, filing, oral communications, and general office practices. Ability to complete contemporaneous time keeping as required.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, attorneys, staff and the general public. Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions. Proficiency in composing and preparing routine and technical legal correspondence.
Graduate of an accredited four year college or university is preferred; however, non-college graduate is acceptable with the completion of a two year paralegal training program/certification or one year relevant experience with a law firm or other legal services program.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary of $22,622 is negotiable depending on experience. Candidates with more experience can expect a higher range salary.
- 403(b) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
When you apply to join ALSC, We will collect personal data about you, such as what you include on your resume or application. We use this information to evaluate you throughout the recruitment process and it is only shared internally. We may also use the personal data you provide to evaluate you for other opportunities with ALSC.
Connect with Us!